Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Castle on the Mountain

A while back I started a Switcharound collaboration, whereby a group of artists would build characters or backgrounds together. One would sketch, one would ink/clean-up, and one would colour. I had 16 artists altogether, creating 10 creatures to sit on one piece. Most Switcharounds are character portraits, but I did want to see full characters, and to work together with some great people out there.



Here is the background I completed. The challenge was a big one, finding something that would work with all the different characters. I opted for something that looked like a rather fun adventure, a small world of sorts.


I've been told to stay away from symmetrical, central stage-like compositions, but I feel this works. Perhaps it's the length and the guiding lines of the path. There were so many textures to work with, and some of the artists had chosen to do background elements which forced me to work with their techniques too.

The print can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment